Anyone else feel like after age 18, the pounds just pile on overnight?! College taught me bad eating habits and of course certain alcohol choices did not help. That flat tummy is no more. For this reason, I really strive to live healthy and keep dairy, sugar, gluten, and processed food to a minimum. Wait, what? Those are all my favorite food categories! Dairy makes my face break out and sugar makes my sinuses act up, so I need to cut it out anyways. (Insert crying emoji face, seriously)
In order to still enjoy my favorite foods, mainly tacos, I have been experimenting with healthier versions. This cauliflower tortilla recipe quickly became one of my favorites. I also have one with carrots. Yes, carrots. It sounds gross, but it is amazing. I’ll share it at a later time. I had no idea how many different foods you can make healthier versions of with certain veggies. I would have never touched cauliflower growing up, but now it’s a staple in my diet.
One great thing about these cauliflower tortillas is that they are EASY PEASY. I enjoy cooking. I find it therapeutic, but some people I know do not. So for all of you non-kitchen loving folks, you can do this!
(You can use a normal dish towel as well, I just prefer cheese cloth)
Lunch is served! (Whoops, is feta considered “dairy”? 😉 See, I said I strive to kick it out not that I do.)*
- - 3/4 a head of cauliflower OR 2 cups of cauliflower riced and packed
- - 2 eggs
- - Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut 3/4 a head of cauliflower (removing most of the stem) and put into your food processor or blender. Pulse until you get a texture slightly finer than rice. (I usually add a tad bit of water when using my blender.)
- Place riced cauliflower into a bowl and microwave for 2 minutes. Stir, then microwave for another 2 minutes. Stir again.
- Place the microwaved cauliflower in a dish towel or cheese cloth and squeeze out as much excess water as you can. (Caution: DO NOT BURN YOURSELF. IT WILL BE VERY HOT.)
- In the bowl, combine the DRAINED cauliflower, 2 eggs, and salt & pepper. (Mixture should be a tad runny, but not liquid.)
- Spread the mixture onto the baking sheet into 4-6 small flat circles.
- Place baking sheet in oven for 10 minutes, then carefully peel them off parchment paper and flip them over to cook for 7 more minutes.
- After they are cooked in the oven, place them on a wire rack to cool slightly.
- While they are cooling, heat a medium sized pan over medium heat.
- Place the tortillas into the pan one at a time pressing down slightly to brown them. (You will not want to skip this step, as it gives them a crisp edge and nutty taste.)
- I love the taste of these and use them for fish tacos, carnitas tacos, and chicken tacos! I orginally found this recipes from Joshua Weissman.
I would love to know if you try it, how it turned out, and what you thought. It can even be used for pizza crust! Do you have any healthy versions of recipes I need to try?